Search Blog

Saturday, July 17, 2010

"Alfa Romeos are romantic cars..."

And they are. Italians love Alfa Romeos, they are a source of national pride. While Ferrari might be the supercar, they are still Alfa's little brother. I know that seems funny, especially when you compare the Spider with a Testarossa, but it's true. Enzo Ferrari started as a race car driver for Alfa. And while it wasn't intentional, it is fun to be doing this project the same year as Alfa's Centenario.

I was working on the car, my head under the hood, leaning into the engine bay, when I saw someone circling a bike behind me on the driveway. I pulled my head out, and an older gentleman, maybe in his 50s or 60s, stopped his bike, and asked me in a nice Italian accent "What year is your Spider? I see you here working on it, the suspension, and other things..." I answer that it is a 75. He smiles, and says, or rather mumbles...

"Alfa Romeos are romantic cars. It is in the name. Romeo. I bought an 89 Spider brand new. Romantic car. Women loved it. It had the power windows, power steering, but that was the package..."

I was thinking, this is so cool, and actual Italian talking about his pride and joy. That thinking was soon shattered with this next statement however...

"F***ing bitch made me get rid of it in 95." Spat. "Then I got rid of the f***ing bitch." Two spats. "Bought a Carrera after that. That is a pussy car!" He finished that statement with a sly grin.

The conversation went on for a bit, with two or three spats after ever mentioning the f***ing bitch. Then he said, if I remember correctly, something about the Spider being a good car that I had, and rode his bike off with me saying "have a good night" after him.

I'm really enjoying my Alfa!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment