Search Blog

Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Suspension Rebuild, Part 4 - Reassembly

After cleaning everything up, replacing bushings, and painting the parts, it is time to put everything back together. Reassembly actually went pretty quickly. I had it all back on the car with about 3 hours of work, though there were some issues that made the total time a little longer.

I had already packed the bearings, and had the hub ready to go. Unfortunately, the rotors couldn't be turned, so I had to go pick up a couple new ones from Centerline, and couldn't get the hub on the knuckle until I had the rotors. I also had forgetten from disassembly that the two screws that hold the rotor to the hub were missing, so there was a couple hour wild goose chase trying to track down a couple replacements. I have learned to go to Ace first. You want a fastener, Ace probably has it. Another thing I have learned. Make a list of everything you need, and get it all ahead of time. A lot of time could have been saved if I hadn't been making runs to the auto parts and hardware stores.

So, assembled the parts, reversed the threaded rod technique to install the new spring pan with the nicely painted spring, and the Spider now has a nice brand new looking suspension. Of course, there is still the issue of an alignment, but that will be taken care of on Monday. I still have to reassemble the passenger side, but most of the prep work has been done, so it *should* go together pretty easily.

Here are some pictures of the redone driver's side.





The rear suspension needs attention, and I really need to tune up the Spica and engine, but I have to say, I am ready for a bit of a break. And I'd like to drive her a bit before she is up on blocks again. But I have to say I am pretty proud of myself. Went from knowing nothing to rebuilding the front suspension!

No comments:

Post a Comment