Search Blog

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Centerline and the Workshop Manual

I spent awhile doing research, and there are 3 or so major Alfa parts dealers in the US, and I used their online catalogs to research parts pricing. One of them is Centerline Alfa. I don't remember when I looked, or even what made me do it, but at some point just before I left for Denver, I checked to see where Centerline was located. Wouldn't you know it? Lafayette! Only about a half hour from where I am staying while in Denver. Conveniant? Yes! Dangerous? Absolutely!!

So, I head down to Centerline the first Saturday I am back in town to pick up the filters necessary for the work I mentioned in my last post, and I also planned on picking up the Brooklands Manual. I look through the Brooklands there at Centerline, and it is pretty much word for word the Autobooks Manual, which I already have, as it came with the car. So I ask Joe (one of the great Centerline guys!) if he has another manual. He goes into the back and comes back with Direzione Assistenza Tecnica... The Workshop Manual. Over 300 pages of complete step by step repair instruction, designed for actual Alfa repair shops. At first I hesitated at the price, it was about 4 times the cost of the Brooklands, but thumbing through it, I decided to go for it. I needed something.

Hindsight, my insticts were correct. This book is worth its weight in gold! It is for the years 85-88, and though mine is a 75, most of it still applies. It doesn't have anything about the Spica injection, but I will be getting Wes Ingram's book anyway, so not an issue. I have come across some minor differences here and there, but nothing that I haven't been able to figure out. As an example, I, someone who changed his own oil for the first time a couple of weeks ago, used this book, the internet, and some advice from a couple knowledgeable friend to rebuild the front suspension. So, with no further ado....

No comments:

Post a Comment